Class 11.27.18

My reaction (Pirates of Caribbean):

This ride focused much more on the use of screens for the storytelling and was a completely different experience than the Orlando and Anaheim rides. It felt much more immersive and was focused on the plot of the movies, while the original Pirates ride was later converted to reflect the movies. The combination of set and screens led the viewer through the plot and made it feel much grander. Even without being able to understand what the characters were saying I could decipher the overall theme and storyline quite easily through visual cues.

What connections did I make with the work I just viewed?:

Initially, I was expecting to feel a connection to the rides in the United States, though this ride had a much more modern day feel to it. Even though the old rides have been updated, they still have a nostalgic quality to them that reflects the original Pirate ride. This experience with its use of large screens for interaction reminded me of many Universal Studios ride experiences, where screens aid in the experience and add action and drama in a way animatronics cannot.

What changes would you make to adapt this work into another medium?:

If I were to adapt this work to another medium I would I would make a VR game. One of the most exciting instances of this experience was feeling as if you were in the world. The use of sight sound and fx helped aid in the guided boat ride through the world. I feel the best way to transfer that experience into a new experience would be to keep the key factor of a first-person experience. This medium would allow for more hands-on decision making that could steer the plot and be more personalized. The whole viewing would be on a screen, though the immersion of VR would hopefully create a similar effect. It would also be able to go more into the plot and have a well-rounded storyline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Character Butch

Wakanda Proposal

My Planet